I am excited to announce our MBA essay questions for the 2014-2015 MBA application:
Essay 1: The mission of the MIT Sloan School of Management is to develop principled, innovative leaders who improve the world and to generate ideas that advance management practice. Discuss how you will contribute toward advancing the mission based on examples from your past work and activities. (500 words or fewer)
Essay 2: Write a professional letter of recommendation on behalf of yourself. Answer the following questions as if you were your most recent supervisor recommending yourself for admission to the MIT Sloan MBA Program: (750 words or fewer)
- How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant?
- How does the applicant stand out from others in a similar capacity?
- Please give an example of the applicant’s impact on a person, group, or organization.
- Please give a representative example of how the applicant interacts with other people.
- Which of the applicant’s personal or professional characteristics would you change?
- Please tell us anything else you think we should know about this applicant.
Essay writing is a reflective process, and one that our Admissions Team takes very seriously. We do not believe in only using numbers and standardized test scores to build our incoming classes. I am releasing these questions early in hopes that you will find some time to think carefully about your past experiences. We evaluate your responses using a behavioral-based assessment process and encourage you to share specific past examples of what you said, did or thought in a given situation.
Keep in mind that these essays are designed for our Admissions Team to get to know you better. There is no right or wrong answer – how you choose to respond is completely up to you. For both essays, please remember to draw upon experiences that have occurred within the past three years. We will be posting application tips throughout the summer, so be on the lookout for more helpful hints! I anticipate our online application will go live at the end of July – so stay tuned.
It is an honor and a privilege for the admissions team to review your essays and your completed applications. We look forward to receiving them!